Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I've been trying to get Ella to fall asleep on her own for her naps and at nighttime. So far nothing has worked. So today I tried the Ferber method. The first night you attempt the Ferber method, you put your child to bed as you normally do. Your baby should be tired but still awake when you put her to bed, so that she is left to fall asleep on her own. After you leave the room, the baby will inevitably start crying. Allow her to cry for about 5 minutes, then re-enter the room to console her. It's important that you stay in the room for only a short time - even if she is still crying - and that you don't pick her up or rock her. This second time you leave the room, wait 10 minutes before returning in the same manner. The third time wait 15 minutes, and set this as a maximum wait time for the rest of the night.
Every time thereafter, enter the room briefly and then allow your child to cry for 15 minutes. Eventually, she will fall asleep on her own during one of the 15 minute intervals in which you are out of the room. The second night, you should begin with a 10 minute wait before re-entering the room, followed by 15 and then 20 minutes. In a similar fashion, increase your initial and subsequent wait times by 5 minutes each night.

Hopefully this will teach Ella to learn to go to sleep on her own. The hardest part is going to be listening to her cry. We tried it at nap time today and it worked well. She got a bottle and then closed her eyes. I knew she was tired so I took her to bed, gave her a kiss and told her that I would see her in a little bit.

It only took 20 minutes and she was out. I can't wait to try it tonight and see if it will work. She is waking herself up in the middle of night and doesn't know how to get herself back to sleep.

We will see how it goes.......


PS. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!

6 comments:

Chris Johnson said...

Good for you! It won't hurt her any to let her cry....don't feel guilty either EVERY mom has done this. It works!!

Happy Valentines to you guys also, give Miss Ella Bella a kiss for me!

Jen said...

That's basically what we did with the boys. All of them were great sleepers. It's one of those things though that you have to be ready for.

MISS You all!!! Since you came up here for Sean's birthdya, does that mean you are coming to visit me for mine this weekend??????

Paula said...

Jen, I think Mom would kill me if I wasn't here this weekend. Not a good thing....

Dave Morris said...

Then there's the Nyquil method...

Violet said...

good luck with all that. i can imagine how hard it would be to listen to her cry...

Anonymous said...

Maggie was not a "sleeper". I had to put her in the car, put in the Mozart CD & drive her around for 20 minutes. She still lies in bed for 20 minutes or so, talking, playing with her teddy bear or just calling me for a drink of water, she heard a noise, what "be-starts" with the letter N, anything to stay awake a bit longer.
Will, on the other hand, IS a sleeper. The other night I was giving Mag a bath & I put Will in the crib to play. I washed her hair & went back to get Will...sound asleep.
I just hope it stays that way.