Monday, February 19, 2007




I should know better than to try to take Ella out to dinner after 6pm. But, against my better judgement, Mike and I packed her up and went to meet Dave and Emily for dinner around 7:15pm. BAD IDEA!! She was pretty good until 8pm hit....BEDTIME!!!


Ella wasn't happy with anything, didn't want her bottle, didn't want to sit, she wanted to sleep and NOW. When the child is unhappy and screaming, Mommy gets a little stressed.


Why? We have all been in the store, restaurant, ect and heard the distinct cry of a very mad baby. I know I always think to myself, "the poor little thing" or "man, I know how the mom feels". I hate it when she crys in public. I feel like I have to silence her at once. I don't want to make other people mad because my baby is crying in Target, Applebees or wherever. Why do I feel this way? Everyone else is probably looking at me, thinking about how crazy I look. Babies cry, I know that. I just don't want mine crying in public. It makes me feel like a bad mom, one who can't control her baby.

4 comments:

Violet said...

Paula -

You are CRAZY if you seriously feel like a bad mom because Ella is fussy in public! First of all, on a scale of one to ten, Ella's crankiness last night was maybe a 4.

And, as hard as it is to believe it, people understand what you are going through. And if they don't, screw 'em... Patience is a virtue and perhaps little Ella is there to teach them a lesson!

Amy said...

oh my god, this is the story of my life and i really struggle with it. i want alivia to behave in public but how do i accomplish that? i have two choices, either keep taking her so she can get used to it or keep her at home so i can enjoy dinner or shopping without her trying to get out of the high chair or out of the cart. so many times i've felt like "oh my god, my kid is THAT KID at walmart screaming!! and i know everyone is thinking "if that were my kid...." well guess what, spanking a kid that crying doesn't make them STOP Crying!!! i've taken her everywhere with me since she was born and she's always been good until after she turned one! just try to stay patient with her and if she gets fussy just take a walk out to the lobby or something!

Anonymous said...

yeah.. the eight o'clock WITCHing hour... I remember it well.

We were at the in-laws for mooch-a-meal last night & right at 8 pm, Will started getting fussy. We packed him up & said our goodbyes. I think he was asleep before we got out of the driveway.

Jen said...

You have first-time-mom-syndrome.....baaaadddd!!! Have another baby, become outnumbered and forget to care what anyone else thinks about your parenting skills. Do the best you can and just ignore the rest.

Violet hit it on the head. People nowadays are so intolerant of anything and everything. An all out fit, I just leave, but you won't hit that stage for a couple years (terrible 2's are a hoax, non-exsistent, but the 3's, now that is the age that tries every last thread of patience you THOUGHT you had left, and then the preteen years, OY! but let's just NOT go there, 'K?)

ANYWAY.......Ella is a baby, if she is fussy, so what? Anyone complains just ignore them.....they're all butt heads anyway.....and besdies that Ella is an ANGEL, even when she is fussy!! So there!!!